Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Funky Monkey Town

This year I decorated my classroom with a safari/jungle theme. Each of the students have magnets with their names on them, that are monkeys holding bananas. The name plates on their desks match, and so do the bulletin board and walls. Because the 5th grade teaches early U.S. government, we set up our classrooms like cities. These cities have names, and city officials, like mayor, sheriff, deputy, accountant, mailman... One of their first assignments this year was to vote on a class name, and you guessed it... We're "Funky Monkey Town." I think I might have put a few too many monkeys in the room. Once the town had a name the next assignment was to design a class flag. This is what they came up with... One of my quiet students drew this and the entire class voted anonymously on this winner. Here are some pictures of my classroom and students:



There are 7 times more, guess I didn't get 'em in pictures, yet, but I WILL!
For more information about my school (Centerra Mirage), take a peek at this:
www.avondale.k12.az.us/Centerra_Mirage.cfm

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Hi Robin - What a cute idea...Is the theme song for Funky Monkey Town, "Funky Town"? I love how you decorated!! I am sooooo glad you are blogging! This will be fun!