Saturday, April 18, 2009

Great Arizona Teach-In


Let me start by saying, "I don't know these people." However, I spent a couple of hours with them this morning, at the "Great Arizona Teach-In."

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am NOT returning to the school or district where I'm currently employed. That means I need to find a new job. Lucky for me, I found out about this job fair, which was held near the Cardinal stadium, which is maybe 5 miles from my house. This job fair was from 10 - 2, and I got there at 9:45... The picture is the line I got to wait in before the doors opened, and this is only about 1/8 of the line... Yikes! Fortunately, I was smart enough to pre-register, so when the doors opened the line moved pretty quickly.

I was also smart enough to go in prepared. I read all the information about what to bring and wear, and I did just that. Plus, I limited my search to just 5 districts near my house. In reality, I was probably over prepared, but I guess that's better than the opposite. Any way, with the economy the way it is lots of schools have put a freeze on hiring, so although most of the districts were accepting applications, they preferred for them to be completed online, since they don't have any openings, at least at this time. However, they were accepting resumes, and I was ready! I created small portfolios with all the little details school districts want, like: a cover letter, resume', certificate (copy, of course), transcripts... Plus, they all had sign-in sheets that let the district know you were there, and interested in a position.

I did have a couple of good conversations, although I wonder how much will be retained by the interviewers, since there was something like 5,000 applicants there. Hopefully I said something that made an impression on them. But, the best part... I HAD AN ACTUAL INTERVIEW! And, they were very excited with my qualifications... They said they would call me on Monday for a second interview!!! So, keep your fingers crossed!!!

Oh, and just to give a hint of what the job fair was like... This picture is the line for just one of the districts participating... Glad I didn't have to stand in that line!

No comments: