Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Knee surgery

For several months my knee was very sore. Looking at it hindsight, it may have been becuz I fell one day at school (I slipped on something in the lunch room, and landed on my left knee). Any way, it eventually got to the point that I decided to go to urgent care (that was April 23). Although they took an x-ray, they told me it was inconclusive, and suggested I go to my pain doctor for an MRI. Of course, the pain doctor couldn't save me a step and let me get the MRI before the appointment, so I went in for them to tell me I "need an MRI." Didn't I tell them that?!? So they set me up for the MRI, and then I went back in to the pain doctor. He said I would need to see an orthopedist. It was now June! I go to see the orthopedist, who looks at the MRI and says he's not sure what's going on, probably a tear in the meniscus (cartiledge), but it could also be arthritis, so he said, "Let's try a cortisone shot. If that doesn't work an arthroscopy would be the next option." Well, the shot didn't help and it's now July! So, when I went in for the follow-up we made the arrangements for surgery, on July 21st. There was a tear in the meniscus, plus arthritis. He (Dr. Sirounian) repaired the tear and did something to create scar tissue that should help create a buffer between the bones. I've been on crutches for a week...













This is what it looks like a week later.

1 comment:

nancyfinlay said...

I am sorry you are probably hurting now. Most people do have knee surgery, I hope you feel better. But most people feel better after their surgery. Get Well soon. Nancy